Pages...

Tuesday 29 March 2022

Halfway through treatment and surrogate information...

 

1 week down, 1 week to go!

My scan and bloods last Wednesday went well. I was on my 2nd day of my bleed so they did my ultrasound and checked the thickness of the womb lining. Apparently it has to be under 5 to start treatment and mine was 3.6 so they gave me medication to be started that night. All medication is administered via injections in the stomach. I'm used to this with my insulin injections, however, there is alot more actual medication to push in and the needle is a lot longer so it feels slightly strange.  I started on Bemfola each evening for 4 days. Then from Sunday I have been on Cetrotide in the mornings and Meriofert in the evenings. 

  
  

I had a scan today and everything seems to be fine and getting along well. I have another scan on friday but they have provisionally set the date of egg retrieval for next Wednesday. Slightly nervous!

We have had a few comments from people that they might be interested in surrogacy and becoming a surrogate. It is lovely for people to say that but also gives us hope which we know may not follow on as a definite offer. We have requested information from the clinic for people if they are genuinely interested in becoming our surrogate, as we need to make sure people are fully aware of the process and what it entails. I have provided an overview below but, of course, if anyone would like any further information, please feel free to ask and I can send it - I won't expect you to go ahead with it just by asking! 

We are doing 'Host Surrogacy' which means it is my egg and Josh's sperm so the baby is ours and nothing genetically linked to the surrogate - she will be the oven and look after the baby but not be related. She will have a medical check including bloods and the usual clinic checks and an ultrasound to check the uterus is normal and will start taking medication for stimulation. The surrogate should also start to take Folic Acid once treatment is planned. 

The surrogate will take tablets for roughly 2 weeks in preparation for the embryo transfer then have an ultrasound. The embryo transfer is similar to a smear test and is not a major procedure at all. Tablet medication continues until they attend for a pregnancy blood test or until pregnancy has been confirmed which is around 2 weeks after transfer.  

It is illegal to pay someone for being a surrogate, however, we will be paying for the medication and all appointments and while pregnant, we will make sure the surrogate is not out of pocket so we will pay for anything needed in relation to pregnancy such as clothes and travel to and from clinic. 

Will update further nearer the time of egg retrieval - not long now!

   


No comments:

Post a Comment