Pages...

Tuesday 22 March 2022

Health Checks...

The day Josh was dreading has been and gone and he survived! 

     

Our clinic appointment was on Friday. This visit was for our health checks to be done. We both had to have blood tests and I had to have an ultrasound scan to see my ovaries. Josh is terrified of needles and has never had a blood test before so he was very nervous all morning. To make it easier, I brought him some numbing cream and put that on an hour before our appointment. He did really well and I was so surprised at how he handled it. Once the needle was in, he was chatting away. They took lots of blood for various tests such as HIV, Hepatitis and Gonorrhoea. They also did an extra test because I have Cystic Fibrosis (which is genetic) to see if Josh carries the CF gene. We should get the results back in about 5 weeks.


Next was my ultrasound scan. They insert a scanning device inside to look at each ovary and also see if it is easily reachable ready for egg collection. It was slightly uncomfortable but took about 5 minutes. They were happy with everything and said the egg collection could go ahead as planned and shouldn’t be any issues. Josh had to take his trousers down so they could check out his male bits and that was it - easy for men isn’t it! 

The next stage is for me to start the hormone treatment. They work it in with your menstrual cycle and start the treatment between the 1st and 3rd day of your bleeding. That happens to be tomorrow - Wednesday 23rd! So I am back up the clinic for an appointment. I think I need more bloods done for hormone levels, another ultrasound and then will be told what medications I’m starting. I’m usually ok when I’m on my period but I’m nervous to start these medications as I’m only used to my cocktail of “normal” meds. For the next 2 weeks, I’m either going to be a crying mess or want to kill everyone in rage. Hopefully everything will be fine.

I also wanted to thank everyone for our lovely messages and comments following our last blog. We read them all and they all mean so much. I especially want to thank a couple of the girls that privately messaged me who have been through similar experiences and it really helped reassure me as I am slightly worried about the egg retrieval under local. 

I will do a small update at the end of the week after my visit to the clinic tomorrow to let you know the plan for the next 2 weeks. 



       


No comments:

Post a Comment